What are Merit Principles?
According to merit principles, the public expects a system that is reliable, effective, equitable, and accessible to all, free of political intervention, and staffed by honest, professional, and committed employees.
Merit Principles in the US warrants the following keynotes to act upon by both the employer as well as employee:
- Equal employment opportunities are followed by meritorious candidates.
- Equitable treatment to all the employees.
- Recruitment should be based on skills.
- Equality in pay structure, salary rates, working conditions, incentives, and recognition.
- Employees maintain high work ethics, values, and demeanor; and should work towards the public interest.
- The Workforce should be utilized in an efficient and effective manner
- Performance measures and management for retention of employees
- Coercive actions and nepotism, if any, should be dealt with a heavy hand
- Public health, safety, the integrity of national and organizational favor (like information disclosures actions, etc.) should not be compromised.