Must ask Exit Interview Questions - eGuide for HR
These questions should be prepared as pre-planned and in the form of a structured interview, it called conducting exit interviews. This way, the employers are able to draw honest feedback about their own selves and the company culture in the eyes of exiting employees. Employees take a decision to leave you due to development opportunities outside.
What Employers must know when their employee is leaving?
When departing employees have decided to leave, the employers must know:
- What was the job description of an existing employee?
- How was the employee experience?
- Were they good team members?
- How was the employee engagement?
- What level of job satisfaction was achieved? Or in other words, what was the level of employee satisfaction with your company?
- Why you could not achieve employee retention?
The aforementioned bearing in mind would help you to tailor exit interview questions well. And the information may help you for retention of your future employees.
Moreover, along with these, we have more to share with you. Yes, the following are exit interview questions that may help employers to extract the genuine and valuable information known as honest Employee feedback!
Question.1 Why do you want to leave our organization?
- This query relates to the inner viewpoint of the leaving employee to know the reason behind her/his leaving the current job/employer/organization
- Such question(s) help employers to improve areas, if any, related to employee job satisfaction
- This sort of asking also uncovers the strength of the competitor(s) where the existing exiting employee is heading towards
Question.2 Why did you start to see another job?
- This question relates to the intention of the exiting employee that why one started to seeing for another job
- This point is in the run to know the very cause behind of leaving the current job and attracting towards another by the employee
- This way it helps an employer to see any concern the exiting employee had with you and to possibly rectify that to save other employees from exit
Question.3 What influences you in a new organization most to leave us?
- The questions like this are for the purpose of the help of the existing employers to have knowhow about the influencing most factor(s) being the cause behind the employee’s switching / leaving the job
- These questions also uncover the facts about your competitors for attracting valuable workforce, say talented employees
- Question No.3 is again asked after two-bit similar questions so that to influence the exiting employee to tell the factors that remained which the exiting employee has not told you so far if any
Question.4 What we could have done to retain you?
- You being the employer is assisted, by this question in the exit interview of a leaving employee, about the policies or practices which are behind as a bone of contention for leaving employees, if any
- After having knowledge about the reason(s) in policies or procedures, if any, employers need to improve the same
- This sort of points help you to retain your talented employees
Question.5 What we would have done better?
- The employer(s) insight about the always there remains the room for improvement as big and open as largest, often known as Areas For Improvement (AFIs)
- When you know the areas for improvement, now it is time to ponder upon are they realistic
- If the now-known AFIs are workable, it is time to accept the reality and changes to make in official practices
Question.6 Would you considering working for this company again?
- This question asking helps employers to have an idea about the climate survey of own organization that what the employees think of your office culture and environment
- Would the leaving employee(s) consider joining you again if get chance in future means that they have no concerns with you but they are only switching for development purpose(s) of their own
- This is positive that you will get a more experienced employee again having a different experience of the competitors’ organization(s) but it has a challenge in terms of the loss of the current talent
Question.7 Do you think you were well equipped to do your job with us?
- This question has two ways in it: first that the current employee was sufficiently equipped that is are the employees adequately skilled to do the job or otherwise
- Another concern addressed in this question is that the employees are given the required environment/equipment by the employer to perform the jobs properly
- These kinds of knowledge extracted from the leaving employees help you to improve any technical or non-technical AFIs
Question.8 Were you comfortable with your supervisor here?
- This question asks the out-going employee’s comfort with the supervisor
- It uncovers the attitudes’ AFIs of the supervisor(s) working with you
- This way the supervisors’ training and development programs you can offer for improvement purposes
Question.9 How do you find our company culture?
- This question gives you the awareness about your company culture
- AFIs can be identified in organizational culture and design: that is it mechanistic having a strict chain of command or the organic having the ease of command and controls
- Through such sort of questions the knowledge extracts can be implemented for the surface and deep AFIs in organizational culture and design
Question.10 How your supervisor(s) would have been better?
- This sort of question(s) help you, being the employer, for the viewpoints of the subordinate that how a supervisor should be
- The AFIs given by the subordinate should be looked into the basis of and that is realistic or not
- If the AFIs are realistic and can be implemented then this is of importance for you to better the said
Question.11 Did you ever talk to anyone inside a company about your concerns?
- These species of inquiries discover the statistics which are of utilization for the employers in terms of the concerns the departing employee had
- The concerns, if not talked or discussed with anyone inside the company, would be of worrying for the employer
- However, such queries help you to know the conversation between the employees to take necessary actions as per your organizational needs
Question.12 Did/Do you feel you were/are important for us?
- Such questions tell you the thought process of a leaving employee
- When thought process is revealed then is the time for you to tailor policies for making employees feel more comfortable and important about themselves being connected to your organization
Question.13 Did your job description change since the beginning and till now?
- This question is about the job description changes by HR or Supervisors
- If the answer is “no” to this question, then it is to think that why it happened
- If the answer to this query is “yes” by the leaving employee, then you have to think did it disturb the employee
Question.14 What qualities should you think look in your successor?
- These replies help you to look for the qualities into the new joining employee as a replacement of the withdrawing employee
- If the qualities which were ignored by the employer as far as the employee is concerned, this helps you to give importance to those things which were missed before
Question.15 Did you get ample training with us to perform your job professionally?
- This helps employers to get into the gaps in the training programs if any
- When gaps are known about development programs, it makes easy to design the training
Question.16 Did you get growth and development opportunities here?
- This uncovers that either you have/had growth and development opportunities for the employees or not
- Such sort of information reveals about the exiting spaces to be filled in growth and development schemes
Question.17 If you are given a chance to change something in our company ,what would you change?
- This type of information reveals upon you the present time openings for betterment or AFIs in other words
- Employers have to look into the changes suggested, by the employee who has resigned and leaving your organization, that they are either workable or otherwise
Question.18 Were you communicated clear goals, targets, mission, and vision of the company?
- This information is valuable for onboarding that either you were / your Human Resources department able to communicate the clearer company goals, targets, and mission - vision, etc.
- If the answer to this question becomes “no”, then there is the need to communicate the clear objectives on the occasion of onboarding of new employees
Question.19 What do you think we should change in our Training, Growth and Development policy for employees?
- This scenario of replies makes it clear for the employers to know the changes required, in the viewpoint of the employees, in the training, growth, and development policies for employees
- Once you being the employer know the situational gaps in the said programs, it becomes easy for you to bridge those
Question.20 Kindly tell us your best day at the job with us and why?
- If you know your employee’s biggest day with you, you will have a way to move forward to the existing track you are on as far as the employee's conducive environment provision by you is concerned
- Otherwise, if no big day comes on the surface in the data provision of an exit interview, you will have a think tank to work upon such things to make the employees day the best day for themselves
Question.21 Similarly, what was your worst day here and why?
- The worst day of the off-boarding employee, if any, would make it clear for you that what employees make their day as worst
- Once the reason(s) behind the worst day is known to you, it is time to avoid those to sidestep anymore worst days for your intact remaining/on-the-job employees
Question.22 What part of your job do you like most?
- This is related to the nature of the job as well along with the JD – job description – so far as the resigning employee is concerned, it is of utmost importance that what part(s) of the job within JD were the best suited for employee
- Once you are done with this information, you have a way to continue the assignments and jobs which are the employees easy with and they like that as well
- This way employees’ performance can also be enhanced – a very necessity of all employers/businesses worldwide
Question.23 What job part/kind do you dislike most?
- When exit interview question no.23 is done, you have valid reasons to look into the JD of the employees for their dislikes or discomfort
- If the uncomfortable part of the JD is not sufficiently important to change or those are not going to harm the organizational performance, then there remains a choice for you to make a few alterations for employees’ ease and comfort
- This way the employers can increase employees’ job satisfaction, an important requisite in HR Management and Development
Question.24 Did you receive proper feedback on your job / yourself to improve?
- This question is related to performance appraisals practices in your organization
- If the proper feedback on employee-selves and their jobs are not provided to, here click the alarm button for the employers, as this may result in high turnover
- If employee feedback properly and timely is given, the HR Turnover rates can be controlled and it can be an important tool to improve retention of an ever wanted talent
Question.25 What would you do to improve the morale of the employees?
- Employees’ morale, if not up, then it is too an alarming bell for the employer
- These informative questions disclose the facts about the employee’ viewpoint about the organizational exiting morale
- This help you, being the employer, to boost the morale of the employees and how to do so as well as per the employee suggestion
Question.26 What part(s) of your job would you like would have been changed?
- This is again related to JD
- Here in the previous information if anything remained covered would uncover so
- The JDs alterations suggestions from exiting employees help you for improvement purposes without the involvement of existing employees avoiding chaos
Question.27 Would you prefer, any of your friends or relatives looking for job, to us?
- This climate survey question’s reply helps you to know the existing conditions within your company
- The conditions conducive or otherwise are revealed and hence you have the directions to rectify the policies/procedures etc. if required any
Question.28 Would you like to add something else?
- This is an open-ended question targeted to the leaving employee to add something else as important and vital for the suggestive purposes
Question.29 Would you like to add any specific examples during your tenure with us?
- These examples uncover the events r examples which were specifically of importance for the employees: those may be of any nature that is positive as well as negative
- These specific examples may also help you to know black sheep within an organization if any
Question.30 What is that one big reason again to leave us and join others?
- This reiteration of the previous question again may tell you what was concealed before in other questions
- Often repetitive questions force the replier about telling something new – this is HR Psychological technique of asking same questions but differently
Few of the above-mentioned questions are direct and others indirect. Some of the questions are reiterated/asked again and again with different perspectives. It is pertinent to mention here that we have covered here many of the HR-related tasks behind the exit interview questions curtain. Those are:
- Job Description
- Employee Satisfaction
- Employee Retention
- Training and Development
- Growth Opportunities
- Organizational Performance
- Employee Performance and its improvement
- Employer, Etc.
This is all to find out the real reasons behind the leaving employee resignation and avoid repeating mistakes, if any, on the part of the employer, for the win-win situation creation: other existing on the job and future employees’ retention and performance improvement purposes, consequently the organizational successful exchange of profitability.